Tuesday, May 17, 2011

AN UN-BELIZE-ABLE WEEKEND!!!!!!


Well it’s been another wonderful week in the beautiful country of Belize. I can finally say Matthew and I are getting use to barking dogs in the morning. Some people have roosters but San Ignacio has dogs. Every single day when the clock strikes 5 a.m. there is s dog across the street that starts to bark like it is dying. So, me and Matt decided that we will set an alarm so we can watch what happens to this dog, because his bark is so on schedule every morning. I will get back to that when it happens but we are determined to find out. Its gotten to the point where I will wake up moments before he barks and Matt and I will just looks at each other and laugh. Who needs alarm clocks?


This week has mostly consisted of constant appointments trying to get projects started and writing up project proposals, so a lot of paper work. However, we got to swing by the Belizean Botanic gardens again, and that was a lot of fun. Matthew and I were in charge of painting signs. Can I just say if you have every tried to dry paint in humidity you will understand what I mean when I say this, you can’t. Not to mention we had to constantly do touch up because little bugs would land in it and get stuck. Anyways it was frustrating but what can you do. I was the painter and Matt was the delegator. He would tell me, “ Maybe you should make the letter bigger” or “ Are you sure that will turn out good.” After much debating I am glad to say that the signs turned out pretty good. We were able to go take a dip in the river to cool off. When I say cool off the only time you are cool is when you are in the water, but as soon as you get out your sticky, sweaty, and smelly again. We got the workers discount on food witch was about two American dollars for rice, beans, and a small portion of chicken. The food is good here but Matt and me have been getting pretty sick of the rice and beans. Matt keeps telling me anytime I mention missing food from home, “That eating the same thing here everyday is part of being humbled”. I always reply, “ You were never humbled with food on your mission you ate the best food in the world everyday in Italy.” That pretty much works every time because he smirks and has nothing left to say. Sometimes I think that he refers this as to a mini mission for us. I guess that can only mean one thing, I have the best companion in the world.

To top things off at the end of the week, Matt surprised me with a get away for our anniversary weekend. Matt and our supervisor had been planning it during the week and I had no idea. That’s one thing I love about Matt he is constantly making things special for me all the time, and is always so thoughtful. Friday we took off we packed our snorkeling gear, swimsuits, and clothes. We hired a taxi guy by the name of Tim he has been a good friend to us while we have been out here. As we were driving Matt divulged to me where we were going, Caye caulker. I was immediately excited because me and Matt has done lots of research on this place prior. Caye caulker is a remote island off the coast of Belize next to the coral reef, which is ranked the second best reef scuba diving in the world. Our journey was not too long it was about 2 hours to get to Belize city and from there it was a 45 min ride on a water taxi to get out to the island. Matt had been correlating everything with a lady on the island by the name of Tracey and she was awaiting us on the dock when we arrived. She greets us both with a warm bear hug and a huge smile. Her curly dark hair was all over the place as she took us on a tour of the island. Literally I am not joking when I say this that once you are on the dock you can see water on the other side of the island. It is not very large but it is beautiful. Matt and I got so excited after we got off the boat we had completely forgot about the luggage. Thank goodness for Tracey she ran right over there and got a hold of our luggage. When we arrived to our place it was beautiful it was a seaside cabana right on the ocean. 

I couldn’t believe Matt had gone through all this trouble for me, when the best gift I have ever received was him. We got settled in and were off to eat. We had the best shrimp ever!!!! A nice treat to get away from rice and beans. Than we just watched as the sun slowly settled in this place that feels like paradise.


The next day we decided to book a scuba excursion. We were just so excited we hardly got any sleep the night before. This was going to be our first ocean dive. We had got certified prior to coming out to Belize. Tracey found us a good place to go to called Hochan reserve, and boy was she right. It was beautiful at first it was a little nerve racking because we had to flip out of the boat backwards but it was fun. Its incredible how much life is in the ocean we saw sharks, barracudas, tiger fish, turtles, and much more. It was all very exciting. During our surface interval things started to get a little shaky. Our stomachs started to turn. We were both got sea sick. All my excitement left as I was throwing up the remainder of the boat ride. We still had one more dive left and I was determined to go. So I pushed threw but the whole entire time I was throwing up under water in my BC, and Matt was taking pictures with the underwater camera. Once we headed home Matt held me the whole way to keep me out of the sun. Once I took a nap I was okay. Matt felt so bad. I reassured him it wasn’t his fault and I was just thankful to go. The experience was still amazing. Later on that night we visited Tracey’s jewelry stand on the island, where Matt bought me the most beautiful pearls ever.

Also on the island we were able to rent bikes for the day and tour, it was so much fun. We realized the further we got away from the water the less of a breeze we had. So we tried to ride by the ocean as much as we could. Not to mention it was easy to jump in the water and cool off just about everywhere.


 Sunday was our anniversary. We had a go-slow day, and were just enjoying our time together. Tracey stopped by our cabana and delivered a gift for me. A bouquet of local fresh flowers she had spent all morning picking. She slipped Matt some pearl earrings that she had someone make for me to go with my necklace. She is the most thoughtful, sweetest lady ever.  When we arrive back in our room after walking the beach I noticed balloons and a sign that read “ Happy 25th Anniversary.” 

Matt had some how got back in the room and set this all up. I was laughing so hard when I read that it said Happy 25th. Matt explained to me that he got it in the states before we left and could not find one that said happy one-year anniversary. I loved it all the same, this is what I mean when I say he is constantly making things special. My suggestion is if you want romance marry an Italian men. As the day came to a close me and Matt sat on the balcony in the hammock over looking the ocean Matt turned to me and said. “ I really messed up didn’t I”? I quickly comforted him thinking he was referring to scuba trip thinking he ruined everything. However I quickly understood what he meant when he said.” I’m never going to be able to top this anniversary next year.” I nudged him and we both broke out into laughter. Oh how I love him so much. I realized quickly that this place feels like paradise but really anywhere is paradise when I am with my eternal sweetheart Matthew. Marriage isn’t about what you get from the other but rather what you give, that makes your love grow. 



2 comments:

  1. Wow what a great story! Kaylynne, you look like a sun kissed beach goddess and Matt, I'm proud of you for being a romantic italiano . What really sounds Italian is how you let her do all the painting while you "delegated" Ha!

    Happy Belated Anniversary. Most couples celebrate by eating stale wedding cake but you ate shrimp in a beautiful bungalow by the sea! Fantastic!

    Love you guys so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you guys are having so much fun! Happy Anniversary! :)

    ReplyDelete