Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Journey Begins


The journey began at 1 am leaving on a flight from Salt Lake City.  We arrived in Atlanta here hours later and had a three-hour layover, from there we were off to Belize to start our 6-week adventure.  When going threw immigration the officer joked with us asking us if we were moving to Belize with how much luggage we had. I think the luggage was jut about as tall as I am.  Out of the airport we pilled in a van that took us to the bus station.  Before arriving to the Bus station we stopped at a local fruit stand.  Best cantaloupe I have ever had in my life!!!!  There we had a 2-hour bus ride to a city called Belmopan.  There we took a connecting bus to San Ignacio also called Cayo here.  That ride was about an hour and a half.  By the time we reached Cayo we had been traveling 13 hours with not very much sleep.  Matt was so funny making sure he let me know that today felt like he was on a mission again and our directors were our trainers.  He keeps telling me this is a mini mission.  Also he is not shy to include every time I say something about humidity that he suffered it for two years.  I learned to not voice my opinion too fast anymore. Thank goodness the food is so wonderful here it made up for it, not to mention the watermelon drink!!!  The place where we are staying is so beautiful and seems like a mansion compared to all the other places.  So far my favorite part of Belize are the people.  Always smiling and happy to help although they live in such poverty they are cheerful an optimistic.  However nothing tops the children they are so cute dressed in there school attire joking around.  They are always waving to you and being extra loud to catch anyone’s attention.  One thing that scares me is the stray dogs everywhere.  One followed me and matt around and its ear was all chewed up and bloody.  Every time we told it to go away it followed us closer, but finally it left us alone.  At dinnertime we ate the same thing we ate for lunch beans, rice, chicken, and Coca Cola in the bottle.  Coca Cola is so good out here for some reason.  Anyways we are so thankful to be out here and to see what adventures await us, so far so good. J

No comments:

Post a Comment